Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Dress

So the dress I ordered came in time for my mom and dad to see me try it on while they were here visiting and they hate it. They say it is too plain. I like it. I like that it is plain. It's made of beautiful silk fabric and lays nicely and has a flattering A-line shape, but is not too full or too heavy. It's not too sparkly or lacey. It's not to expensive or cheap. It is right in the middle. And it's comfortable. And it has no train. Yay!

My mom says, "We can work with it." She means accessorize. I wonder, "am I not 'beautiful' enough that I need a sparkly dress to help?" Perhaps. Can't I just wear sparkly shoes? I love sparkly shoes, but not sparkly dresses. Hmmm...

I think my dad will kill me when he finds how much it costs now that he's seen how plain it is. He won't understand about the importance of the fabric. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not the right dress. Maybe I'm just too afraid to make any kind of statement. Maybe I just need to suck it up and dare myself to wear something with beads and/or lace on it.

But that means I have to go to another dress shop. Yuck! I like it. I really do. But I hate the idea of my parents being disappointed because I am to plain and all my relatives and thinking, "Wow! That dress is so plain." Everyone says you have to find the dress that fits, but I'm not sure that in this case I should take them literally. I'm so confused. My heart shouts, "I love this dress!" and my mind says, "You could be making a huge mistake!" (Ah. The similarities between the dress hunt and the man hunt always amaze me.)

FYI to view the dress click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh pooh on other's comments of your dress choice. it's simple elegance and gorgeous. best of luck to you both.