Monday, April 03, 2006

Mom & Dad

My mom called this morning. I couldn't really talk to her, partially because I'm at work and partially because I totally disapprove of what she's doing. She's leaving my dad.

Growing up I've always been closer to my mom, but these last few months have begun to change all that. My dad's been the only one who's been real with me. Telling me what's happening. Telling me how they're not getting along. Telling me how it's going to end. Telling me how he's going to a class.

My mom says he's going to the class to work on his anger. I don't remember my dad as being really angry. Not abnormally and definitely not abusively. He's an expressive like me though. But hell I think he deserves to be angry. The poor guy just lost both of his parents within 6 months of each other. His wife, whom he's always supported, who has never had to work, or do anything but grocery shop and watch old black and white movies is leaving him because "they've hit a wall."

When he told me that she was looking for a new place on Saturday it made me angry and sad. I just want to protect my dad. Don't get me wrong, I don't want either of them to be unhappy. But, I just really think my dad needs the most support. He's the one being left behind.

When I asked him what I could do he said "Just let me connect with you."

He told my mom that we had talked, so she called. I didn't answer the phone. She called again today. I answered because I knew she'd be worried. We didn't talk long. I said "I've been holding off because I'm not sure what I want to say." How do you tell your mom that you think she's wrong and she's making the biggest mistake of her life. She's never gonna find someone as good as my dad. And I fear that he may not be as good without her.

1 comment:

Terra said...

How about, "I think you're wrong and this might be the biggest mistake of your life." I'm not being flippant, but I just think-at this point, what could it hurt? Maybe she's really done and there's no turning back. But, maybe you saying that to her will give her a "reality check".

I'm so sorry. This can't be easy.