Thursday, August 25, 2005

Designated Drivers

While waiting impatiently for Veronica Mars to start last night I saw the "You Drink. You Drive. You Lose." commercial a few times. I personally like this commercial and have found it conversation worthy on more than one occasion.

For those of you who haven't seen the commercial I will briefly summarize it. Three different drivers pull up to police officers in various situations and confess that they have been drinking and should not be driving. Then the narrator comes on to say that this never happens in real life so the only way to stop drunk driving is to crack down. So no matter who you are, if you drink and drive you will get busted. I find this message to be highly effective.

I did, however, notice that while the message might have stuck with me it may not apply to me because the drivers were all men. Incidentally, the police were also all men. I couldn't help but wonder if National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did this on purpose, because statistically most drunk drivers are males.

No comments: