Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Joining the Club

I'm one of those people who has always wanted someone else's body. I've tried Atkins, LA Weightloss and Weight Watchers. I've tried running 5k races and doing yoga at 105F. I've even resorted to lifting weights in the clubhouse at my apartment complex. Now I realize that none of these will make me grow 3" or turn my hair blonde. It has occurred to me that I am stuck with what I've got. And truthfully I don't think it's all that bad. It just needs a little work.

So I'm thinking about joining a gym. Actually I've been thinking about joining a gym for a while, but with all the fees (the enrollment fee, the processing fee, dues) it is not a decision I've taken lightly.

On one hand, it seems to me that if I really wanted to get in shape badly enough I would have done it by now. What's wrong with the little gym at complex? Isn't the nature park good enough for a cardio workout? But on the other hand neither of these seem to be cutting the mustard. So maybe I do need something more. Maybe I need the place to go, maybe I need the training, maybe I need the camaraderie of a workout buddy or the coaching of a group-x class instructor.

Perhaps this will be another failed attempt, but maybe not. Maybe this time...I'll get the combination right. Although my first instinct is always to ask for perfection, my true desire is to find balance and health. I want to feel good about my body. I want to feel strong and energetic. I want to create a lifestyle of activity. I want to make goals and actually reach them this time. Oh...And I want to look hawt on my wedding day! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Nat I feel the same way! I just cancelled my gym membership because I just don't use it. I have to be doing somethink I like to get excercise and I don't like the gym (some people love it though, not to discourage you). I'll be living closer to you so if you want to play tennis at Gabrial Park or another park let me know